Welcome to My Blog...

A warm and simple, welcome.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Being a Green Goddess (Dressing)


I love salads. I always have. The word "salad" was once a passport to the land of "eat this, it is really good for you." Albeit that those former salads may have been laced with bacon bits, and eggs, and other fattening, empty foods served at a grade "c" chain restaurant.

My eating is based on habit. This week, I have had the same fabulous salad for dinner every night, simply because it has been so good and green, and filled with nutrient dense foods. Crunch. Fresh. Organic. So, every night this week, a huge green salad has been my glorious dinner. I love cilantro, and have used a head of it in each salad...it has been so rich with flavor.

Growing up, salad dressing at our home was made from one thing, and only one thing...olive oil from a large tin gallon, and then, red wine vinegar, fresh garlic and salt. My grandmother would artistically pour the oil onto the salad top in the shape of the letter "G" for "God." I'm saying here, I didn't have a bottled dressing until I was in my 20's. I've investigated every bottled dressing in the world, but have always come back to the simplicity and ritual of olive oil. You should know that growing up, olive oil was used for many things other than a saute or a dressing. Here are some more uses for olive oil practiced by my grandmother, Maria Montaruli...

-Shoe polish for my Sunday patent leathers (oh so shiny)
-Hair conditioner
-Face cream
-Furniture polish
-Earaches (you heat it, dip cotton into it, and place the cotton in your ear)
-A physic (for constipation)

But, these days, I am really keeping oil consumption to a restricted amount. But, I can still make a great salad dressing. And this one is really good, easy, green and delicious. However, my shoes still shine, and my face is smooth as silk.

Going Green Goddess Dressing
One ripe avocado
one teaspoon of olive oil
juice from three lemons
2 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons of water
a glass jar

Prepare avocado into cubes or slices. Squeeze the three lemons into your glass jar. Use a spice grater to grate the garlic. Add the oil and water. At this point, everything is in the jar. Gently shake. I am trying to not use salt, but you might want to add some to taste...along with pepper

Stick it in the fridge for a few minutes to "marinate." When ready, pour on your salad. You are good to go (green).

Thought of the Day: Even if you have to pull from the bowels of your soul, try your hardest to be happy for others. It will unleash a great deal of tension, and your soul will be more receptive to the goodness that needs to flow in your heart. Eat healthfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers