Her name was Robbie Ringler, and she was my 7th grade home ec. teacher. She wore pearls everyday and also taught me how to sew. I am guessing her name was Roberta.
Mrs. Ringler told me that I had a knack of making soup. It was a rather impressionable thing to hear when you are twelve. My first assigned soup was "Cream of Celery." In home ec, you could make anything, as long as you could do it in the prescribed 43 minutes of class time.
Here's a recipe I put together yesterday...I really liked it and I think the success of its great flavors is because I sauteed the vegetables in freshly made celery juice. Mrs. Ringler, wherever you are, this is for you.
Vegan Cream of Celery Soup
Juice celery to yield about one cup of juice
Chop and saute, one medium onion, three carrots, and three ribs of celery, in the celery juice. Once translucent, season with white pepper, nutmeg, and garlic powder to taste. I am trying to cook without salt, if you like salt, do your thing.
Add four cups of spring water and two cups of soy milk. Simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes.
Get a can of white beans and 1/2 cup of raw cashews. Put them in your food processor and blend until pureed. Add to soup mixture, stir well. These will be a nice thickening agent for your soup.
It worked as a creamed soup. Play with the recipe. Maybe you'll find a way to make it thicker. But it is really good. Serve with a salad. You'll feel as though you are back in home ec with me and Mrs. Ringler.
No thought of the day today, just continue to move and watch your "P's and Q's."
- ► 2011 (19)
- Annoucing a New Addition...
- Simple Experiment...TV and a Hypothesis
- Loving My Kale
- Plant Strong, Baby, Plant Strong!
- Good News Today
- Walnut Salad Dressing...Courtesy of Ann Crile Esse...
- Tofu or Not Tofu, That is the Question
- It's All About Balance
- Ann Esselstyn, Where Are You?
- Leaving Tomorrow...The Flight to Reality
- If You Want to Look Thinner, Stand Next to a Fat U...
- Engine Two/Day Two. New Beginning...
- E2 Immersion Day One
- Deep in the Heart of Texas...Day One of E2
- Being a Green Goddess (Dressing)
- T-Minus Six Days Until Texas
- Sweet Thoughts
- Cream of Celery Soup-Vegan Style
- ▼ March (18)