Welcome to My Blog...

A warm and simple, welcome.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Rocky Balboa Likes Kale (in my mind)...


I took this picture when I was at the red light at the Philadelphia Art Museum yesterday. I spotted the other love of my life, Rocky Balboa. I love him. When "Rocky" came out in 1976, I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Brasil. And when the film came to my town, I went to the cinema every night to see this movie of inspiration. Yes, inspiration. There's something about the blaring trumpet's of Bill Conti's theme that makes me want to reach for the stars. The theme music is on my iPod. And, there's something about hearing those mellifluous words, "Yo, Adrian."

I've lived in Philadelphia for more than thirty years, and I embarrass myself when I say, "Yo, Bobby," or "Yo, Jackie." It just comes out. People don't expect a sixty year old to say, "Yo." But, I do. I think I say it with endearment.

But, Rocky is my inspiration to never give up. Anytime I have crossed a finish line of a marathon, Rocky's theme song has been on my iPod (or its precursor, the "Walkman"). When I am on Kelly Drive and doing a workout, I relive scenes from the movie, especially at mile one. I have the miles marked in "Rocky Miles." Sadly, "Rocky Mile" three on Kelly Drive is where Adrian is buried. I know, sad, right?

My real connection with Rocky Balboa (face it, how can you NOT love a guy whose turtles are called "Cuff" and "Link?") is the tenacity required to get healthier. The boldness to be "Plant Strong" and to focus on the daily actions needed to be healthy. In this case, I am determined, like Rocky running up the Art Museum steps, to get thin, and have a body that matches my mind. And, the side effects of being healthier are so rewarding. Nothing to do with smaller sized clothing, it's all about feeling calmer, happier, self-fulfilled...being taken differently by others. Really. I have been so harsh on myself for so long, and I know that the harshness has trickled over into other aspects of my life, and for this, I offer amends.

So, yesterday when I was waving to Rocky's statue (yes, I was, Yo, Rocky!), I was wondering about dinner. What would I make? This is a salsa that is delish, And yes, it has kale in it. It can be your main course.

I think if there was a remake of "Rocky," he'd be making a kale shake instead of eating raw eggs.

Let me know how you like this.

Bean and Kale Salsa

Can of black beans, washed, drained
One cup of fresh tomato, chopped (I actually like mini Heirlooms cut in half)
One avocado, diced
1/2 onion, finely diced
One garlic clove (I grate it on a zester)
1 red pepper diced (you can use any color pepper, I just like red)
One cup of finely minced cilantro
One cup of very finely minced raw kale
Juice of 1-2 lemons or limes

Mix all of the ingredients together, adding the lemon juice, last. Remember to roll the lemon before cutting in half-it'll be much juicier.

You can serve the salsa on whole Romaine Leaves, corn tortillas, steamed collards. Or, on a bed of lettuce.

This is my favorite dish.

I think Rocky would approve and say, "Yo, Charlene..." Live PLANT STRONG.

Thought for the Day:

If there is a "Plant Strong" version of "Pay it Forward," what will you do to help others learn about the benefits of eating foods that are plant based?

1 comment:

  1. This sounds soooo yummy! I've gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete

Followers