Welcome to My Blog...

A warm and simple, welcome.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Biggest Loser...and a Great Salsa Recipe!


I can't miss the "Biggest Loser," (BL). It is better than any tele-novela I have ever seen. This group seems to have a strong fellowship of love and respect, and that is what really appeals to me this season. It pleases my heart to see such a caring group of people who genuinely care about one another. Other seasons have been so cut throat. Oh, wait, there was Melissa...

Still, I lament that I worry about the food that Koli, Sam, et al, eat. Shay is going to get $1000 per pound from "Subway" for every pound she loses. I am guessing that the "Kale Council" doesn't exactly have the same budget as "Subway," or maybe "Extra" gum. Actually, there isn't even a thing called the "Kale Council." But, if there was, I'd be the CEO.

I just wish that there was a "Plant Strong" version of the Biggest Loser, or that maybe, just maybe, they'd invite Rip Esselstyn to visit the Ranch and do his thang with Bob and Jillian. One week of plant based eating would be the best thing that ever happened at the ranch. The progress of someone like, say, O'Neal, has been wonderful, but, I think his progress would have a higher pitched quality if he were plant based. Just my opinion.

With "Cinco de Mayo" around the "rincon," I thought that I would share a simple recipe for "Pico de Gallo." This phrase translates to "beak/bite of the rooster," and it has a kick to it. Of course, I have added kale to this, very finely minced kale.

"Pico de Gallo"
  • 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded, pulp removed, finely chopped
  • 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced (I like to grate the garlic)
  • 2/3 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, finely diced
  • 4 tablspoons of finely minced kale (you can snip it with shears)
  • 2 tablespoons minced cilantro leaves
  • 3 or 4 fresh serrano chiles, seeded, very finely chopped
  • 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • salt to taste (if you need it, but who does)
Mix tomatoes, onion, garlic, cucumber, kale, cilantro, chiles. Sprinkle lime juice over all. Add salt to taste. I have a "Chopping Wizard" and it takes two seconds to make this. This is great on rice, in a salad, mixed with corn. It has endless possibilities!

You can make your own tortilla chips by merely cutting corn tortillas into 1/8's. Then, spread them on a cookie sheet and place them in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. No added fat in these and they taste great.

Best if refrigerated, covered, for at least 1 hour, and served the same day made. Makes about 3 cups.

Thanks for the great feedback. Tell your friends to visit me here and share their thoughts. Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers