Welcome to My Blog...

A warm and simple, welcome.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Bye, Bye Betty Crocker Brownies and Hola Frijoles


I've been a maniac in the kitchen. I've been organizing and re-organizing the 100 square feet that is my "studio." Lettuce spinners, mandolins, that Vita-Mix...all need shelf space. Plus, I have several new vegan cook books. And, not enough storage for everything.

I had a recipe for "Black Bean Brownies" and there are several on the Internet, but not all are vegan. Some called for eggs and butter. This one of from my "Engine Two Immersion." I tweaked it a little, and it was still good. You need to think outside the box (of brownie mix), and think about the positives of living PLANT STRONG.

A sidebar here is my strong opinion about the lady on Oprah today...

In 2002 she lost 175 pounds and was the picture of health. Oprah and Bob (Greene) were singing her praises. But, years later, she gained 150 pounds back. She voiced her shame and self-resentment. She kept a wide variety of clothing sizes from a 10-28. I felt a very kindred spirit with her. Her words brought me to tears, because her well chosen words were my unspoken thoughts.

The seduction of food is awful if you are not plant strong. For me, the cleansing of your body through living plant strong is the key to eating better and not being drawn to the ills of "bad" eating, or making the wrong food choices. Really, I thought I had a character flaw because I couldn't manage food, but now, I see that a plant strong way of eating removes any cravings that would normally twirl themselves into my life. A nibble here, and nibble there...and then there would have been the downward spiral in storming through the kitchen. I haven't done that in almost seven months.

Back to the brownies...here you go folks. Oh, but wait, one last thought. And, it has to do with allowing yourself to be plant strong for just 28 days...just 28 days...less than a month. Engine 2 is there for you...take what you want and leave the rest behind. And most of all, believe in yourself and knowing that you have the tools to make this work for you! Something for you, and only you. When was the last time you did something just for yourself?

And now, the BROWNIES. Ta-dum...

One can of black beans, drained and rinsed well
1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup of water
1 T of vanilla extract (the pure stuff)
1/2 cup of date sugar or date paste (about 6 dates, pureed will also do)

Put these in your blender and go, go, go! You'll get a nice paste.

DRY INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup of good quality cacao powder
1 t. of cinnamon
1/2 of instant oatmeal
2 T of instant espresso coffee (I used Roma, a cereal "coffee," and it worked fine)

Grind this into a nice powder. Add 1 t. of baking powder.

Mix the dry and wet together by hand. Do not over mix.

Get a piece of parchment paper and line a square pan. Pour the batter in. Garnish with ground walnuts. Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 45 minutes. You can tell they're done when there is no "bounce-back." Let cool. Remove from pan, and cut into squares. Store in an air-tight container. I ran a "calorie" count on these on Spark People, and they calculate at about 80 calories each.

You'll eat one and say, "This is good." One will be enough, you will feel full, these babies are so rich in fiber. Really, they're good. And the next time we are invited somewhere, I am taking these as my dessert contribution.

Thought of the Day: Get honest with your relationship with conventional foods...then, seek the vistas in living plant strong. You will feel better, so much better. Spread the word...eat a vegan brownie. Give yourself 28 days to test drive a plant strong life, too.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to add this thought...I do not use caffeine in any shape. So, these brownies, which were a real treat, JACKED ME UP! I was shaking and unable to sleep. Where these brownies good? Oh, yea. Did I need to think more clearly about what I was putting into my body? Double, oh, yea! So, be careful!

    ReplyDelete

Followers