Welcome to My Blog...

A warm and simple, welcome.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Nice Day to Make Soup

I have a very "fun" job. I'm sort of like a cruise director for a Whole Foods Market. A few years ago when I was planning a store event, I thought I'd call Christina Pirello, the PBS TV chef, author and vegan. There I was this happy and plump woman, and when I called Christina, she couldn't have been nicer. She was coming to the store to cook a vegan bruschetta and sign copies of one of her many books. When we met, I was awe struck, and now five years later, I am happy to call her a good friend. She is a very down to earth woman of grand stature with a great heart.

And, believe me, this woman is a GENIUS and a fabulous cook. When I am preparing a meal (I am an inventive cook [granddaughter of Italian chefs]), I pretend (in my head) that I am just like Christina. She can cook anything and everything looks and tastes great.

So, today, in my kitchen on this cold and snowy day, here's the recipe I made (invented). Hope you like it.

Black Bean and Tomato Soup

This is quick and easy.

One bottle cap of Olive Oil
Four celery ribs, finely cut
One onion, thinly sliced
Four carrots, finely cut

One can of San Marzano Organic Crushed Tomatoes
8 cups of spring water

1 teaspoon of curry
Sea salt (to taste)
Bay leaf

Two cans of organic black beans, rinsed and drained
Bag of organic baby leaf spinach

How You Make This

Take your cut veggies and toss them in the oil. Then, turn on your burner and saute your veggies. Saute them until they are clear. Add tomatoes, water, curry, sea salt and bay leaf. Simmer on a gentle flame (uncovered). When they are soft, but not wilted, add the two cans of beans, and the bag of spinach. Cover and steam. Should be done in about five minutes.

This is a nice thick and hearty soup. Make a nice salad. This is a great dinner. If you live with carnivores, you need to incorporate them into your life without making so many different dinners. My suggestion is to put some shredded cheese on the table for them to sprinkle on their soup. It's important you express the importance of your being vegan without creating distance between you and those you love.

Tip of the Day: Today your joy will fall from the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers