Welcome to My Blog...

A warm and simple, welcome.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Really Supporting Local



I have long been a fan of supporting local growers and producers.  Today, everyone is on the local bandwagon, even Walmart (I kid you not).  As I carve out a new life for myself after almost nine years at Whole Foods Market, I am trying to find new places to shop, because after all, part of shopping local is reducing your carbon footprint.

For a long time, I have been a fan of Martindale's, a 100 year old family owned "natural grocer" located in Springfield, PA.  It isn't big, but always seems to have the staples I need.  They have a great bulk spice area with a collection of rare and exotic spices that I often use.  What I also love about Martindale's is that I get to see other products that I have supported...Examples would be Burlap and Bean Coffee (Newtown Square), One Village Coffee (Souderton), Vesper Brothers Signature Tomato Sauces (Brookhaven), and many, many, more.

People at Martindale's are very friendly and give very good and sincere customer service.  It is America's first health food store!  Imagine that!  They are opened daily from 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM.  On Saturdays, they close at 6:00 PM.  Sundays, they are closed.

They give you a nice magazine that is filled with many recipes.  I'm attaching one that you will LOVE.  Omit the oil (use carrot juice for the saute) and exchange the brown sugar for date or maple sugar.

If you are looking for a new and fun experience, stop in at Martindale's.  BTW, all of their produce is local and organic.  Imagine that.

Best part, prices are excellent.  And, it is very close to my home, so I am not driving on highways to get to the bigger box stores!

Here's the recipe for Barbeque Black Bean Dip

http://www.martindalesnutrition.com/common/recipes/recipes_results.asp?id=69&storeID=LE1JVDG81ES92LH70G03N0ET9D9X0R89

Enjoy the dip.  Stop in and shop at Martindale's.  No bells.  No whistles. But well worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers