Welcome to My Blog...

A warm and simple, welcome.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving...


This is a day of giving thanks, and mine, today were abundant. A lovely dinner with my family, mine plant strong, theirs, not. It is okay though, because on some level, I see my vegan thoughts and practices seeping into my family. It is all good.

One of my favorite foods in the world is pumpkin pie. I love pumpkin pie. And becoming a vegan means that I need to be pretty creative to make a pumpkin pie that tasted delicious, fresh, and spicy. I also wanted something that would look like a freshly made pie that would appeal to everyone.

Here's my well-tested recipe. Try making it. I make it crustless,because I am leaving added fat out of my cooking and eating. But, you could use your favorite crust, if you wanted to. If you make the pie, let me know how it turned out.

Fancy Vegan Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie

One can of organic pumpkin
One brick of Silken Tofu (firm)
3/4cup of vanilla, unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup of maple or date syrup (you can also make date paste with 8 dates in place of the syrup)
1 t of vanilla

(Mix these all together until you have a light brown mixture)

Add to the mixture:
1 t of organic cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves (one of each)
dash of pepper
3/4 cup of your favorite flour (mine is gluten free, I used garbanzo bean flour)
1t of baking powder

Mix everything together. Place in a silicone round cake pan. Smooth out top. Place on the middle shelf of a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees. Bake for about 40 minutes.

Remove. Allow to cool. Brush top with maple syrup, and sprinkle with toasted almonds.

Delicious. So good.

This pie will be the new norm. Anyone for another serving of baked sweet potatoes and kale?

Happy (Plant Strong) Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers