Welcome to My Blog...

A warm and simple, welcome.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Eureka Salad Dressing


I like my counter top appliances to know that they are multifunctional. For example, I use my trusty waffle iron to "grill" tofu, make a whole wheat "panini," and cook a veggie burger. It also make wonderful grilled asparagus, one of my favorite veggies. Foods come out nice and crispy, and they stay their shape very well. They are cooked very securely, because they are guided as they sizzle. The waffle iron also affords me the time to "do other things," as foods cook.

So, today, as I was "cooking" one of my homemade veggie burgers, I was dabbling with a salad and what veggies I might want to use. I have a well stocked vegetable crisper, thanks to the availability of local markets. I thought...salad...dressing...no oil...no salt.

Here's what I did, and I was thrilled and surprised beyond belief!

Have you ever used a small appliance for something else other than its marketed purpose?

Eureka Dressing

One medium sized tomato cut into eighths
One small white onion (about the size of a small apricot)
One clove of garlic
2 Tablespoons of Good Quality Balsamic Vinegar*
1 Tablespoon of Dijon mustard
1/4 cup of spring water

I am a spoiled kitchen brat and I make this in my Vita-Mix. It creates a smooth and delicious texture that boosts the flavor and appearance of whatever I make.
This dressing really took me by surprise.Bold

Add all of the ingredients to the Vita-Mix container. Let it rip! You will a very smooth pink-red dressing. Pour it over your salad or veggies.
It yields about 3/4 cup of dressing. I put the remainder in an old squeeze bottle and I was good to go.

The tomato will be happy to be reunited with lettuce and friends. Really.

If you make this, let me know how you liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers